Saturday, January 17, 2004

My Dog

     I'm beginning to worry a bit about my dog. He's about 9 months old now. Again ,today, he had a snarling, hackle raised fit about the dining room. My wife and I were in the kitchen, just finishing up supper, which we generally eat at an earlier hour than most people I know. It was early, still light outside, though this house can be rather dark even when the sun shines brightly. The pup had been busily running from the kitchen through the dinningroom and into the library dispersing his toys all over the place. Suddenly, for no apparent reason, he stiffened, his hackles went up and he began snarling and barking toward the diningroom (we were in the kitchen); there was no quieting him down. My wife suggested I go into the dining room and show him there was nothing therein. He followed me, hesitatingly, jerking first forward than leaping back, until I entered the dining room. I walked around the dining room table, showing him there was nothing there. He turned and returned to the kitchen going to his water bowl to drink. I guess he strained his throat. I ,again, have no idea what he thought he saw or sensed. None of my other dogs ever reacted as violently. The most they ever did was face down the upstairs hall, at night, and emit low growls. This dog seems to have a "thing" about our dining room. Yet he often naps on a pillow next to the heat register in that room.

No comments: