Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A really wierd situation

    What happened with me last Sunday is not a ghostly experience nor did it take place in my house. But it did happen in this town. A situation that is almost impossible to discribe. Last Sunday morning I arrived a church early because being in the chior we rehearse before services begin. As always a very good friend of mine was there taking his place in the tenor section. Looking at the man I at first thought he looked pale and wondered if he felt alright. He was talking and acting quite normal. Then I realised that he just plain looked faded. How else can I discribe it? His whole personage just didn't look quite real. I put the event down in my mind as my imagination. When we filed into the chior loft this gentleman was late making his way into the loft because he was talking to several church members as he made his way forward. The church service was normal and after the service we filed out and my friend and his wife left to go to a restaurant in a neighboring town, as they did almost every Sunday and I went home. My wife was working on a craft project in the kitchen with the radio on . I was using the computer and catching up on several sites. At about 1 pm my wife came into the library and said she heard on the radio that a bad wreck had occured on the state highway out of town and that an elderly couple from our village had been killed. The thought went through my mind that it was my friend and his wife and my wife said, "I hope it wasn't Mr. and Mrs. ----. As there are over 300 people in this town and better than half of them are elderly why did we both think that? I shook it off as silly but it just kept popping up. Finally I said, try to find out who it was. The radio would not disclose the people until next of kin had been alerted. Finally, tuning into the TV station of a town 40 miles away we got the story and the names. It was my friend and his wife. He had been killed instantly and his wife died about three hours later. It was a head-on collision. The local fire department was first on the scene. It was really hard on them as the victem had been their treasurer for years and he was extremely well known and liked in town. They were able to surmise that he was dead before the collision, probably of a heart attack. The truck he was driving swerved into the other lane. His wife, obviously seeing what was happening grabbed the wheel and pulled the truck back toward the proper lane. The incoming car seeing the truck in the wrong lane and not having room to move to the right had swung left to avoid a collision and the truck returning to the proper lane connected head-on. The other driver was injured but not killed. But my friend was 90 years old and his wife was 95. Both were very active physically and the church was already making plans for first her centennial birthday and then his 5 years later. I guess it just wasn't to be. I'm still plagued by the thought...."Did I foresee this coming?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe!  You are giving me chills.  

Sorry for your loss~
Marie

Brig said...

Would you believe, that I just accidently discovered these comments? This site never explained how to see any comments that came in. They did not show up on the regular menu. These replies are 4 years late. I wasn't ignoring you; and I really wondered why I never saw any comments.