Saturday, November 27, 2010

Somethings playing with my wall clock.

Its that time of the year when we start dragging out the Christmas tree and all the trimmings. These sundry items for the holidays generally are situated in the formal parlour. The formal parlour is where we generally greet guests. Since Halloween we've only had one guest and she is not the type to play with clocks. In the parlour we have a wind-up type wall clock (could be a shelf clock but we use it on the wall) that needs wound once a week and it keeps remarkably good time. This clock has a door on the front that we keep closed except when winding the clock. Today as I was starting to set up the Christmas tree in the middle of the floor in the parlour, I noticed the clocks door was open. I also saw that the clock was still running (penulum was swinging) and the time was way wrong. I asked my wife if she had been cleaning around the clock and she assured me she had not, "You know I know nothing about those things". Meaning she didn't try to set or wind it. Like most of todays women she prefers the electronic clocks. She likes the look of the old fashion ones but she knows little about setting or maintaining one. No one has access to that room but my wife and I unless we have visitors. So the wife has no idea how the door opened on the clock nor why it was four hours off. Even though it was a day early, I went ahead and wound it and set it and closed the door. The door, is firmly shut so it takes some force to open it .when you hear a loud "snap", it also closes with an audible "snap"So we have another mystery in this old house.

No comments: