Thursday, August 18, 2011

My turn at the store

The first time I tried to post this something went wrong and it did not publish. I'll try again. The store survived my running it for a day. I arrived at about 10am and began setting up for the day. I did remember to bring my tape recorder but I had no need for it as there was no murmering noted. After getting everything ready for customers I decided to straighten up a tall showcase that is located roughly 20 feet from the door to the shop. I had a direct view of the door. The door to our shop has a large delicately balanced brass bell attached to it. It rings loudly if anyone enters or exists. The loud bell is necessary in order to be heard in the back of the store where the sound has to pass through two walls. Anyway, I was placing some bric a brac in the showcase when I distinctly heard the door open and close in short order. OK, you say, someone decided against coming in. I would have thought that too, but the bell did not sound on the coming or the going. I tried several times to open and shut that door without activating that bell; I couldn't do it no matter how softly I attempted it and yet what I heard was a direct opening and closing, nothing soft about it. The sound was normal for someone opening that door and then closing it. But the bell did not ring. I looked up immediately at the sound of the door opening and saw nothing. The Open sign on the door was perfectly still; it rocks a little when the door is used. Maybe I'm nuts; but I know I heard that door open and close and I know the bell did not ring. Other than that the day was pretty much uneventful except for the chatter of customers and me. When my wife returned I mentioned there was no murmering and she reminded me that it doesn't occur every day.

No comments: