Wednesday, February 4, 2015

At the store

Sometimes I wonder if its just old age making me see things. Yet much of what occurs seems to be similar to things that other people write about. Yesterday I had to run my wife's store alone. She has a bad leg and our home has been surrounded by ice for days. It is so slick around our house that when I took our two dogs out for necessary things I fell so fast and slick that I didn't remember falling. I was leading my dogs and then I was flat out on the ground. Getting up was next to impossible as my feet kept sliding. I did finally manage to crawl over to some matting where I could stand up. So it was obvious my wife could not go to the store. So I had to run the store alone. It was a busy day and frankly I was pretty much bushed when 5 o'clock rolled around We hadn't had any customers for about a half hour and I started turning off lights to displays. I had taken care of the days receipts and was starting around the store dousing wall lights and "open" signs. The main battery of lights overhead were still on. Thats the last thing we do before we leave. I had just turned off the light to the second (rear) sales floor when a rather large fellow wearing a heavy dark overcoat came walking down the main isle of the rear sales floor. I said, "I'm sorry, sir, I thought everyone was gone". He just wasn't there anymore. I hadn't taken my eyes off of him more an a few seconds while I pulled shut a curtain that separates the rear sales floor from a small work area. No way he could have past me and no place for anyone that large to hide. He was at least my size, a bit heavy and wearing an overcoat. I cannot remember a face. He just simply was not there anymore. Like I said I was tired, but it sure seemed like someone walking directly toward me and he disappeared. My wife made it to the store today. We had no further episodes.

No comments: