Tuesday, October 21, 2003

Weeping in the bedroom

    Whe've lived in this house for 27 years; most of what I,ve written took place during the first 15 of those. The footsteps in the upstairs hall still resound on occasion and still on hardwoodfloors, even though we carpeted that hall many years ago. Some doors still will not stay shut even, in one case, when a slide bolt was placed on it. The beastie that opens it, often does so in the winter and that can quickly make our house downright cold. You feel a sudden cold draft, you better head for the green room upstairs as the door to the upstairs porch is going to be wide open. The Greenroom is one of the more strange rooms. It was used by the Senators daughters, as they grew up. One night as I made my way from the Masterbedroom down the hall to the upstairs bath, as I passed the Greenroom I heard distinctly, a woman or girl crying. Thinking that my wife, who had just lost her father a few weeks prior, not wanting to disturb me, had gone to the green room. I stopped at the door and said "Can I help?" and stepped into the room and turned on the light. There was no one there. When I returned to bed, my wife was still there sleeping away.  A little white dog is sometimes seen, if for but a moment on the backstairs, he has brown spots and short hair, a little like a jack russell. Nothing like my somewhat larger schnauzers who are long haired and gray and white.

No comments: