Thursday, January 20, 2005

A distinct voice

     Yesterday, My wife was at the computer in the library. I was looking for something upstairs. I had just told my wife I was going upstairs to find something that neither of us had had any luck finding in the downstairs. The dog went with me upstairs. Figuring I'd find my lost item, possible, in the bedroom, I started there. The master bedroom is in the front of the house. I no more than than got started when a voice, definitely female, called out from what I assumed to be the back stairway. It sounded like "Are you up there" or words to that effect. Frustrated, I thought to my self what do you want? I  just got up here and I told you I was coming up." The dog heard it too because he headed for the back stairway. I went back down the hall, back down the stairs, backthrough the diningroom and into the Library. "What do you want?" I said to my wife who was still seated at the computer. "Nothing, why?" was the response. "Didn't you just call up the stairs?" I replied. "No, I didn't, I've been right here since you said you were going upstairs." . I then asked, "Did you hear anyone talking or calling?" "No, she replied, Why?" I told her why, and she assured me she neither called out nor heard anyone call out. Now keep in mind the Library is closer to the foot of the rear stairs than the Master Bedroom is. Had anyone called upstairs you would have heard it in the Library more clearly than in the bedroom. I was not imagining it. I was busy and resented the intrusion. I definitely heard it. Once again the house has spoken to me. Like I said once before, if it happened often I'd think I was cracking up but this is only the fourth or fifth time in almost 30 years. I don't think it was a result of mice or underground running water.

No comments: