Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Out of thin air

Thus things at the store get weird. The temperature today reached a balmy 7 degrees. My wife opened her store on time anyway. I had just gotten the opening duties completed and was removing the last Christmas tree for backroom storage when our first customer appeared. I didn't meet the customer as I was quite busy trying to find a spot in our overcrowded backroom to store a boxed 7 foot artificial Christmas tree. By the time I reentered the main store the customer had left and my wife franticly searching for towels with a crow design on them. She had three on the floor but the customer wanted 4. I had seen these towels before and was certain they were in the work area shelving unit. I stopped what I was doing and fairly pulled that area apart and did not find the towels. My wife had searched deligently the entire main salesroom with no luck. With the temperatures so low we were not interrupted with customers. Finally giving up we continued with other chores. Calling my attention to a large empty basket that had had lighted pictures displayed in it, my wife asked me to take it back into the storeroom as there was no longer any need for it on the floor. Frankly, at the timer, I was involved with bringing fresh merchandise out onto the floor and I forgot about it. Four thirty rolled around and it was time to start closing procedures. My wife caught sight of the basket that I was supposed to have taken back into storage. Calling my attention to the fact she went for the basket and discovered it was no longer empty. It had three of the long sought after towels in it. I had seen that basket as empty even before I was asked to remove it to the back. My wife has emptied the basket of one or two lighted pictures and nothing was replaced in the basket. When my wife and I had searched to store for the crow towels we would have passed that basket numerous times. Suddenly the missing towels are in this particular basket. How? When? by Who? If they had been in the basket earlier we would have seen them. The sudden appearance of these towels certainly startled my wife. We only had 6 or 8 customers the whole day and only one of them was interested in this particular towel. I'm glad they showed up. The customer will be notified. But once again I'm scratching my head wondering "What the heck is going on."

No comments: