Sunday, October 11, 2015

Something Strange

Something strange happened at the store on Friday. I hesitated reporting it; but after mulling it over in my mind for a couple of days, I know I'm right. Last Friday I arrived at the store late. My wife had already arrived and opened it for business. I wanted to stop at the downtown farmers market first, so it made me a bit late. I had several items for Halloween sale I had found at our house and I had them in a large plastic shopping bag. When I arrived at the store I retrieved the bag of Halloween items and took them into the store. In the bag, among other items, were two identical items. These two items were of a witches arm that moved out from a larger black frame. The arm and hand holds a glowing ball and the witch voice cackles "Happy Halloween" and some other cryptic vocalizations whenever someone walks in front of it. As I said, I had two of the Halloween gadgets. One was in near perfect condition and the others box showed considerable wear. Checking out BOTH figures I discovered they both worked just fine So I removed the one from the worn box, priced it, and took it out to display on the wall of the rear showroom. I then returned to the office to price the second one and, leaving it in the box, place it near the first one on a shelf. But when I returned for the second one it was NOT there. I looked under my chair, I checked my desk, the floor, I looked everywhere. The bag I had the Halloween items in was still there but not the Witch item. No one had been in the store at that time and my wife was still in the front of the store and assured me she had not even been in the office area. I put in the rest of the morning looking for the item with no luck. About three o'clock in the afternoon I told my wife I was going to run down to the local gas station as my van was really low on gas. I walked out to the van and opened door. There sitting in the middle of the dashboard, on a cooler I keep between the front seats, was the missing Halloween item. OK, you say, You just forgot you took it out of the bag and left it there. But like I said and I've gone over and over this, when I took the bag of Halloween items into the store I definitely remember testing BOTH to see if they worked and I remember choosing one to display and one to leave in its box. I also remember placing the better one on the floor beside my chair while I prepared the other one for display. So, unless I'm totally losing my mind, how did this item get back into my van?

No comments: